Windows 10 is almost out now!
“Windows 10 is the first step to an era of more personal computing.”
– Terry Myerson (Microsoft’s Executive Vice President of Operating Systems)
Microsoft has promised a lot of new features in the next installment of Windows.
1. Cortana on PC: Now your PC won’t feel lonely when it’ll see you talking with your windows phone. It has even a separate place of her own right next to the start button on the desktop taskbar. You can use text queries or voice commands to interact with Microsoft’s digital assistant. It can perform basic queries quite similar to the phone.
2. Spartan Browser: This is the result of constructive criticism of Windows ‘legendary’ IE browser. While we were busy trolling IE, Microsoft’s engineers were developing a better and sleek browser which is all set to replace IE in the future. Apart from having a sexy name, Microsoft promises a lot of new features in Spartan browser; which includes a note-taking mode that lets you annotate a web page, then share your marked-up, commented-on version with others using Windows 10’s native Share feature. There’s also a clipping tool so you can save portions of websites directly to OneNote.
3. Improvement of XBox games: It seems with Windows 10, Microsoft is trying to please every tech community on the globe. PC users can now play XBox games on their PC alongside XBox one users on local area networks. You can now even chat with your Xbox Live pals, view your achievement information, or access game DVR clips. The XBox app also lets you like, share, and comment on game clips.
4. Start menu is back and this time you can even customize it with your favorite apps and live tiles.
5. Improved File Explorer now displays your recent files and frequently visited folders making for finding files you’ve worked on is easier.
6. This is Microsoft’s attempt to unify all the devices that run Windows. Now you’ll be able to use apps that’ll run on all the devices.
7. Finally, desktop switch feature makes its debut. Now you can work on four desktops and switch between them easily.
What’s more? Well, it is upgradable for FREE! Although only existing Windows 7 and Windows 8 users can avail this facility and only if they upgrade within a year. Still, a free upgrade of Windows is refreshing.
The promises Microsoft made are really exciting. Only time will tell whether Windows 10 will be successful or it will remain an experimental OS like the current Windows 8.